Top 5 Foods to Balance the Gut & Support Vaginal Health
Our gut health depends on what we are putting into our mouths, and so does the health of our vaginas.
Did you know that we have a vaginal microbiome, and it’s connected to our gut health?
Everything we eat and drink not only affects the health of our digestive system but impacts our vaginal health as well.
Composed of trillions of microorganisms, our gut microbiome plays a role in our digestion and elimination processes, helps to balance hormones, boosts our immune system, supports our vaginal health, promotes healthy skin, hair, and nails and so much more.
However, when our gut microbiome is thrown off-balance, it can lead to an overgrowth of bad bacteria which can cause a variety of health problems like digestive issues, food intolerances, chronic fatigue, skin irritation, and autoimmune conditions.
These problems can often show up in our vaginas and contribute to vaginal health issues like sexually transmitted infections (STIs), yeast infections, urinary tract infections, and bacterial vaginosis.
This is why nutrition is so important to maintaining not only our gut microbiome but also our vaginal microbiome.
Here are my top 5 food recommendations to help balance both our gut and vaginal health:
- Fiber – Including fiber-rich foods like legumes, nuts and seeds, fresh fruits and vegetables, and whole grains into our diet keeps our digestion and elimination regular and helps our gut and vaginal microbiomes to flourish by feeding the good bacteria what it needs to survive and crowd out the bad guys.
- Fresh fruits & vegetables – Eating the rainbow of fresh fruits and veggies contain fiber, essential vitamins, and nutrients that help support our overall health, especially our gut health. Include dark leafy greens, like spinach or kale. Orange and yellow fruits and vegetables like sweet potatoes, carrots, and yellow bell peppers. Blue and purple fruits and veggies like blueberries, blackberries and purple cabbage. Red fruits and veggies like strawberries, raspberries, and tomatoes. Incorporating the rainbow of colors and flavors into your diet can support a healthy gut and vaginal microbiome!
- Probiotics – Probiotic-rich foods like fermented foods, and foods that include beneficial gut bacteria like apple cider vinegar, support our both gut and vaginal health by replenishing the good bacteria they need to thrive. You can get beneficial probiotics from fermented foods but the best way to include probiotics into your diet is in supplement form. I recommend a good-quality probiotic between 20-50 billion CFU’s.
- Fermented foods – Sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, kombucha, tempeh, miso, and yogurt all contain beneficial bacteria that help support our gut and vaginal microbiome. Fermented vegetables are also a great source of fiber, supporting healthy digestion and weight loss, and add lots of flavor to any meal!
- Drink lots of water – Not only is drinking water important to keeping us stay hydrated, but it also improves digestion and elimination by keeping our intestines smooth and flexible, helping the food we eat easily move through our intestines. I recommend drinking a glass of warm water with a squeeze of lemon first thing in the morning to kick-start digestion. It’s a great way to start the day!
Good nutrition is important for maintaining both our gut and vaginal health – it’s all connected!
A balanced diet rich in fiber, fresh fruits and veggies, good-quality probiotics, fermented foods and lots of water help keep our digestion and elimination processes regular and feed our gut and vaginal microbiome what it needs to flourish, which strengthens our immune system, balances our hormones, supports our mental health, promotes weight loss, improves our vaginal health, and so much more.
If you struggle with chronic vaginal health issues like recurring yeast infections, bacterial vaginosis, urinary tract infections, and sexually transmitted infections, consider adding these things into your diet to replenish your gut microbiome to help you heal.
If you are experiencing gut health issues like
- Bloating, gas, abdominal cramping
- Digestive issues like constipation or diarrhea
- Skin issues like acne, eczema
- Low energy and a foggy mind
- Hormone Imbalances
- Recurring Yoni health issues like yeast infections, UTI’s, BV or STI’s
- Weakened immune system
- Stress, anxiety, and depression
These are all signs that our gut microbiome is out of balance and this is where can help!
I’ve created my F*CK CANDIDA Online Candida Elimination Program program for Women who want to reset their gut health, and improve their Yoni health whether you struggle with Candida overgrowth or not.
This program benefits ALL women who want to reclaim their feminine power, reconnect to their sensuality, and take back control of their health by learning natural and holistic methods of healing through diet, nutrition and wellness practices.
For more information, see the Candida section under the SERVICES page of my website: https://yoninutritionist.com/services/