HPV, (a.k.a) the Human Papillomavirus, is classified as the most commonly transmitted STI in both women and men.
Because it’s so common, I’ve been getting a lot of requests about how to heal HPV naturally and of course, I wanted to write about it!
As HPV is a virus, there are many different ways you can treat it naturally by eating the right foods and taking the right supplements to boost your immune system as well as incorporate holistic wellness practices that help the healing process.
To share a little more info on HPV, there are many different types of the virus, most cases of which are harmless and can go away on their own.
There are also some low-risk (although annoying) cases that can lead to genital warts (which can be easily burned off by a doctor or dermatologist), and some high-risk types that can lead to cancer in the mouth, throat, anus, and/or cervix.
HPV infections are very common, with most sexually active people contracting it at some point in their lives.
Some folx with HPV have no symptoms and some experience serious side effects (some with hardly any symptoms), for example; cellular changes on a womxn’s cervix, causing cervical dysplasia (abnormal cellular changes on the cervix), which can lead to cervical cancer.
This is why it’s important to get regular pap smears and check-ups to detect these cellular changes, as it can lead to cervical, anal or throat cancer if not detected in time.
But in the meantime, we can help our bodies naturally fight off the virus by boosting our immune system with diet, nutrition and wellness practices.
Here are some of my tips for fighting HPV holistically and naturally:
- Eat a diet rich in nutrients and whole foods – eat the rainbow of fruits and vegetables which provides necessary vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber for good digestion, especially:
- orange-colored fruits and vegetables like sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, pumpkins, apricots, and peaches
- cruciferous green vegetables which are high in folate like broccoli, kale, sprouts, and cabbage
- dark green leafy veggies like kale, rocket, spinach, watercress, and fresh herbs
- purple and red vegetables and fruits as they’re high in lycopene, like tomatoes, beetroot, and blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries
- vitamin E foods – avocado, coconut, raw nuts and seeds like almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds
- vitamin A (a.k.a. Retinol) – organic lamb, chicken liver, and fatty fish like salmon. For vegans & vegetarians – increase your orange-colored vegetable intake
- Include whole grains like quinoa, buckwheat, and millet in your diet for extra fiber
- Eliminate junk food, fried foods, and any processed foods – these foods can weaken your immune system
- Significantly reduce and/or eliminate the 3 main inflammatory foods from your diet – dairy, gluten & sugar
- Include seafood in your diet which contains essential minerals like iodine, magnesium, calcium, boron, selenium, and zinc – essential for maintaining a healthy immune system
- Alkalize your diet by eating mostly plant-based and reducing animal products to 3-4 meals per week
- Drink green tea daily as another powerful antioxidant
- Include antioxidant and immune-boosting vitamins in your diet – vitamins A, C, E, S (selenium) & Zinc
- L-Lysine to boost the immune system
- Medicinal mushrooms which help boost the immune system like Reishi, Shiitake, and Cordyceps
- Folic acid
- Vitamin D
- Magnesium & Calcium
- Reduce stress levels
- Meditation & yoga
- Physical exercise
- Walks in nature
- Lots of sleep
- Lots of water
- Herbal teas – nettle, lavender, elderberry, and raspberry leaf
- Yoni steam using nettle, calendula, and lavender
- Warm castor oil pack on the abdomen – helps to increase your body’s immunity, raise t-cell response and kill cancer cells
- Start a yoni egg practice with either a jade egg or rose quartz egg
Something to also be aware of is noticing how your body feels during sex. If you are aroused, your cervix sits higher but when you are not aroused, your cervix sits lower, which when receiving penetration, this can be painful or uncomfortable on the cervix and can put it at risk of damage.
For more information on specific ways you can naturally heal your sexual health through holistic nutrition and wellness, you can find me on social media at @yoninutritionist or via email at email@example.com.